HARRISBURG – Senator David G. Argall’s (R-Schuylkill/Berks) latest monthly television report, The Argall Report, highlights the Senate Majority Policy Committee’s ongoing efforts to combat blight and encourage revitalization throughout Pennsylvania’s communities with a series of hearings and roundtable discussions held in Lancaster, Fayette and Franklin Counties.
Addressing the issue of blight is one of Argall’s key priorities. “After 30 years since my first visit as a Scout leader to Germany, I still continue to ask myself this: Knowing how terrible the conditions were throughout eastern Germany from the 1920s to the 1980s, why are East Berlin and Dresden more prosperous today than many cities and towns here in Pennsylvania, including many of the communities which I represent? What are they doing right? What are we doing wrong?” Argall said.
Senators Scott Martin (R-Lancaster), Pat Stefano (R-Fayette/Somerset/Westmoreland) and John Eichelberger (R-Blair/Cumberland/Franklin/Fulton/Huntingdon) hosted the Policy Committee for these discussions on blight and revitalization in their respective districts.
During these discussions, in-depth reviews on anti-blight initiatives were examined that illustrate the good, the bad and the ugly. A panel of stakeholders and local elected officials were also present to provide their input on solutions to combat blight and abandonment.
Argall notes the importance of these types of events in addressing the urgent needs in many of Pennsylvania’s communities. “These roundtables and hearings that we’ve held throughout the state have helped us in successfully passing laws that enable local municipalities to tackle this issue head-on,” Argall said. “Blight is detrimental to communities everywhere, whether you’re in Lancaster, Fayette, Franklin or Berks and Schuylkill Counties. By bringing everyone together to highlight what works, what doesn’t work and what the state can do in helping to solve this problem, everyone wins.”
The program will air on:
• Blue Ridge Communications (Channel 13) every Monday at 10 a.m. and every Wednesday at 10:30 p.m.
• Berks Community Television (Comcast – Channel 15 and Service Electric – Channel 19) on Thursday at 8 p.m. and Friday at 6 p.m.
• Comcast On-Demand on Channel 1 – Get Local – Government – State Senate.
• Reading (Channel 21) and Hamburg (Channel 19) every Monday at 3 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. and every Tuesday at 9 a.m.
• The program is available on Shen-Heights TV, Hazleton’s WLYN TV 35 and MetroCast Communications Channel 10. Please check local listings for air times.
“The Argall Report” is also available online at www.SenatorArgall.com.
Contact: Sakura Ung