HARRISBURG – Senator David G. Argall’s (R-Schuylkill/Berks) latest monthly television report, The Argall Report, recaps the recent Senate Appropriations Committee state budget hearings.
During the budget hearings, Argall, a senior member of the committee, asked the Governor’s cabinet members a series of questions including the future of state prison closings, combatting welfare fraud, breathing new life into older towns through revitalization efforts, and the senator’s top priority – finding a more equitable way to fund our public school system rather than through our current property tax system.
When discussing school property tax elimination with Education Secretary Pedro Rivera, Argall noted his disappointment with the department’s attitude.
“I was surprised and extremely disappointed that the secretary said this issue was not a priority for them. This is by far the biggest issue that Pennsylvania’s residents contact me about. While this may not be a priority for the state bureaucracy, it is for thousands of homeowners across the state who are struggling to keep their homes.”
Argall described his disappointment with the Governor’s representatives: “The Labor & Industry Secretary was not familiar with the components of the comprehensive welfare reform measure that the governor vetoed this past October. The Revenue Secretary didn’t know if his department had yet completed their years of computer modernization efforts to cross-check their data systems for welfare fraud detection. The Human Services Secretary refused to provide suggestions on getting able-bodied Medicaid recipients into the workforce. The Acting Secretary of the Commonwealth refused to comment on his predecessor’s resignation. Unfortunately, the list goes on and on…”
The program will air on:
- Blue Ridge Communications (Channel 13) every Monday at 10 a.m. and every Wednesday at 10:30 p.m.
- Berks Community Television (Comcast – Channel 15 and Service Electric – Channel 19) on Thursday at 8 p.m. and Friday at 6 p.m.
- Comcast On-Demand on Channel 1 – Get Local – Government – State Senate.
- Reading (Channel 21) and Hamburg (Channel 19) every Monday at 3 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. and every Tuesday at 9 a.m.
- The program is available on Shen-Heights TV, Hazleton’s WLYN TV 35 and MetroCast Communications Channel 10. Please check local listings for air times.
“The Argall Report” is also available online at www.SenatorArgall.com.
Contact: Sakura Ung